Saturday, January 31, 2009

Ancho Chipotle Chili

The finished product.
My friends and I go snowboarding on Fridays. Yesterday morning I threw together a pot of chili in the slow cooker before lecture so that we'd have something tasty to come home to after we got done at the mountain.

This chili recipe is the result of a fair bit of experimentation and yields a very hearty, smoky, and spicy chili that most people can't get enough of.

The undesputed stars of the show here are the peppers. After trying out a handful of different combinations, I have settled on Ancho chiles and Chipotle Chiles in adobo sauce. The Ancho (also known as poblano) chiles add sweetness and nuttiness while the chipotle chiles add heat and smokiness.

A whole ancho pepper atop the tea tin in which they live


Where to get 'em? Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce are available in 6oz cans in the Latin American aisle of most supermarkets. I get my Ancho Chiles in dried form from my local Aldi. I would assume that they are available the typical 'foodie' stores like Trader Joes or Whole Foods as well.

[a note about canned Chipotle Peppers: There is significant flavor variation across the brands of canned chipotle peppers. The three that I have seen available at grocery stores are San Marco, Goya, and Embassa. Of these, the Embassa is the spiciest while the San Marco is the smokiest (and in my opinion best) with Goya falling somewhere in the middle. If given the choice, I prefer to use either San Marco or Goya.]

The recipe:

1 lb ground beef
2 15 oz cans red kidney beans (drained)
1 15 oz can whole kernel sweet corn (drained)
1 28 oz can diced tomatoes (preferably not seasoned)
1 chopped Dried Ancho Chile Pepper (with seeds)
2 Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce
1 tbsp. Adobo Sauce from the Chipotle Peppers
1 Onion coursely chopped
1 tbsp Cumin
1 tbsp Chili Powder
1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 tbsp. Salt

Throw everything into a slow cooker, mix, and cook on Low for 6 hours. I serve it in a bowl with a handful of shredded sharp cheddar and fresh cornbread.

I have found that this recipe (like most stews) tastes much better on the next day so leftovers are definitely a good thing.

Enjoy.

-Gordo

No comments:

Post a Comment