Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Slow Cooker Roasted Chicken

I got a new slow cooker this past November and have been using it fairly frequently. Twice a week, I throw something together before going to class or work and have a hot meal waiting when I'm done. This morning, I modified this recipe to my own tastes. The result made for good dinner and even tastier chicken salad the next day.

The bird!!

1 5lb roasting chicken (defrosted)

The rub!!

2 tsb paprika
2 tsb cumin
Salt and Pepper

I washed and dried the chicken and removed any giblets. I then proceeded to season the chicken, I applied ample rub to the cavity, skin, and between the skin and meat of the chicken. Don't be bashful with the rub, you'll be glad later.

The original calls for the chicken to be on a raised on a bed of aluminum foil balls. While I like the idea of a chicken actually roasting instead of just wallowing in its juices, the idea of using balls of aluminum sounds silly when you could have a very tasty bed of vegetables instead.

The veggies!!

A handful of washed baby redskin potatoes
2 Carrots chopped into 1.5 inch chunks
1 Quartered medium white cooking onion.
1/2 cup chicken stock [Better than Bullion is the next best thing to home-made stock]

I put down the veggies, poured in the broth, and put the chicken on top.

The original calls for cooking the bird on high for an hour. 'High' for a slow cooker equates to around 200 degrees F, which is nowhere near hot enough to do anything useful like crisping up the skin or searing the meat. As such, I left this step out. As I type this, the bird is roasting on low for a planned 5.5 hours.

Enjoy.

-Gordo

No comments:

Post a Comment